Thursday, April 30, 2009

Random Thoughts about Thursday Night Television

I am increasingly entertained by the wide spectrum of reviews in Comcast programming descriptions. The majority are pretty straight forward, but occasionally you'll get an odd one. My personal favorite at the moment? The description for the god-awful Hitcher remake: "Thumbs down on this slapdash remake of the 1986 chiller about a couple who pick up a psychopathic hitchhiker!" Why can't they all be this honest? (Incidentally, be sure to watch the original Hitcher with C. Thomas Howell, though. It's a classic slasher/car chase flick that's worth a viewing.)

I also love the FearNet descriptions on On Demand. Check out this one for The Dentist: "Dr. Feinstein is the coolest dentist ever! His office is all tricked out with different theme rooms. It's really fun! That is, until he catches his wife with the pool boy. And he goes nuts. And starts torturing his patients. But hey, before that, fun guy!" They're not all gems, but a lot of them crack me up.

There are clips for "Bob the Builder" on the On Demand menu and I just realized that Greg Proops is the voice of Bob. This seems vaugely disturbing in a way I can't quite explain. Maybe it has something to do with him also voicing a expletive-laden commentary on the ultra-violent (but also very cool) MadWorld for the Wii. Obviously, celebrities can simultaneously do children's shows and violent video games, but it did make me do a double take.

Well, I'm off to watch Don't Look Now. Expect the next post to be a strongly worded review, mostly because it seems like one of those movies that you either love or hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart my readers! Thanks so much for your comments!