Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Top Five . . . Television Show Openings

5.  "Tales From the Darkside"

This anthology show was produced by Stephen King and George Romero after their success with Creepshow.  The show's short opening is one of the most frightening in television history.


4.  "Dead Like Me"

The best openings give you a window into what the show is about.  I love that the intro for "Dead Like Me" is able to convey the show's black humor in a unique way (and without using recycled clips).



3.  "The Twilight Zone"

Rod Serling's narration over surreal imagery makes this opening remain iconic and effective today.


2.  "Game of Thrones"


I haven't been able to watch "Game of Thrones" yet since we don't have HBO, but if the intro is any indication, the series is excellent and worth the high praise it's received from critics.


1.  "Carnivale"

You very rarely see an opening that is able to encapsulate a show as well as this.  "Carnivale's" opening perfectly depicts the blend of religion, magic, and 1930s life that made the show so unique.


Honorable Mentions:

"Unsolved Mysteries" - for scaring the bejeebers out of me on a weekly basis throughout my childhood



"Mystery Science Theater 3000" - for an extremely catchy theme song that I sang ad nauseum growing up and still know all the words to as an adult.  (I can sing all the versions, too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart my readers! Thanks so much for your comments!