Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Misfit Planet (Geektastic 2.0)

I have a tendency to root for the underdog.  That’s probably why I always liked Pluto. As the final planet discovered, it never really fit in with the other guys. It’s significantly smaller than the other planets, it has an odd elliptical orbit, and its innermost moon, Charon, is larger than any other planet’s moon in relative size to its host.

As it turns out, all of things that make Pluto quirky and unique also contributed to its demotion from a full-fledged planet to a lowly “dwarf planet”. I never understood why Pluto was booted out of planetary status, and honestly, I never looked into it – probably because I was secretly hoping that scientists would come to their senses and reinstate the little (non) planet that could.


Read more here, at the new Geektastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart my readers! Thanks so much for your comments!