Sunday, June 19, 2011

Top Five . . . Songs That Always Make Me Think of My Dad

My dad has a very eclectic taste in music (Read: everything from The Who to Enya).  Because we spent most summers trekking back and forth from Omaha, NE to Denver (one of the most boring rides in the world), we needed something to keep us sane.  Since it was pre-portable DVD players and it was my job to keep my dad company, I got to experience his extensive musical taste and it definitely influenced part of my own.

In honor of Father's Day, I give you the Top Five songs that always make me think of my dad:

5.  "Vincent (Starry Starry Night)" by Don McLean

"Starry Night" was my favorite painting as a kid.  I had a huge poster of it in my room and I was always fascinated by the one-eared Vincent Van Gogh.  My dad was the person that introduced me to this song and he remains the only person I know who is familiar with Don McLean songs other than "American Pie".


4.  "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meat Loaf, featuring Karla DeVito

Dad thinks this song is hilarious and should be played at every wedding ever.  I have distinct memories of him cranking it while we ran errands on the weekend.


3.  Any song from Queen's "Night at the Opera" or "The Game"

We wore these tapes out on road trips.  Travel tip:  Any road trip can be made infinitely better by rolling down the windows, blasting Queen, and singing at the top of your voice.


2.  "Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel)" by Billy Joel

We danced to this song at my wedding.  I picked it because my dad's childhood nickname for me was "Angel" and he's a big Billy Joel fan.  (I also enjoy Billy Joel - I spent an entire summer in our basement listening to The Stranger over and over on our ancient record player.)


1. "Nostradamus" by Al Stewart

I associate this song completely with my father.  It was another tape we listened to on our road trips and it always got us talking about what the song meant, and by extension, about history.  I occasionally catch it on the radio and I always smile because it makes me think of my dad.


Happy Father's Day, Dad!


Dad reading to me (my favorite picture of us)
Getting ready for the Father-Daughter dance

Walking down the aisle at my wedding.

2 comments:

I heart my readers! Thanks so much for your comments!