Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Heart: The Fembot Edition

  • Jewelry from Made With Molecules, especially this "Serotonin" necklace.  An awesomely geeky alternative to the "Happiness", "Love", etc. jewelry that you see everywhere lately.
  • The "Bewitched" Barbie - Even though I wasn't named for the little girl on this classic '60s show, it's usually what people think of when they learn my name.  "Bewitched" stuff is pretty hard to find, especially something as beautiful as this doll.
  • Florence + The Machine - Florence Welch has an amazing voice, an inventive style, and an impressive ability to straddle musical genres.  It's been a while since I've found a current band or singer that I really liked and I was surprised how much I liked Florence + The Machine, considering that my tastes usually run more toward the classic rock genre.
  • Diablo Cody's memoir Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper - It's a quick read that alternates between witty and shocking and one of the better "guilty pleasure" books I've read in a while.
  • "Atomic Betty" reruns on The Hub - I just discovered this cartoon while flipping channels.  A Canadian toon, it was on Cartoon Network for a year before being axed.  It's a sweet girl-centric show in the vein of "Powerpuff Girls" about a teenage girl who sings in a band, likes sci-fi movies . . . and happens to be the galactic savior of the universe.
  • Grammar Girl - Uber-helpful books and website that solve your grammar problems in a user-friendly and relatable way.  You can also follow Grammar Girl on Twitter (@GrammarGirl) or listen to her podcast on the Quick and Dirty Tips website.
  • Grace Kelly in Rear Window - Hitchcock was famous for his use of cool blondes in leading female roles, but Kelly is my favorite because unlike some of the others (Kim Novak in Vertigo, Eva Marie Saint in North by Northwest, Tippi Hedren in Marnie), she seems approachable in addition to being beautiful.  (The gorgeous clothes don't hurt either!)
 
  • Doris Day movies - I spent several days last week watching light, breezy films from the '60s starring Doris Day.  Back when AMC used to actually play old movies, my mom and I would watch their Doris Day movie marathons.  They are the perfect fun and girly flicks to watch on a girls' night in.  (Top Five Doris Day films:  The Pajama Game, Lover Come Back, That Touch of Mink, The Thrill of it All!, and Pillow Talk)

And now, the reveal . . .

From red to black!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I heart my readers! Thanks so much for your comments!