Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Heart: The Monster Madness Edition

  • My new logo - I'm using the "funny one" right now, but I also have a serious version.
  • The Zen of Zombie by Scott Kenemore.  It probably looks like another trend-capitalizing, bandwagon-hopping novelty book - and it totally is - but, it's also pretty hilarious and accurately spoofs the business self-help genre.  I particularly like this passage:
"When a human says: 'Can I do that?' He usually means something like: 'Is this legal?  Will I get into trouble?  Is it permitted?'

A zombie who wonders if something is possible is concerned only with the physical logistics.  A zombie might wonder: 'Can I break down this military barrier?  Can that fat kid outrun me?  Can I get through that doorway with this spear sticking through my chest?'
But never: 'Will I get in trouble if I break down this door? Will eating that fat kid be in bad taste?  Is it a social faux pas to go indoors with a spear?'"

  • Zombie jerky - it's teriyaki-flavored and made to look like zombie flesh.  What more could you want? 
  • Awesome horror blogs Totally Jinxed and Carfax Abbey.  You NEED to read these if you are a horror fan - it's not optional.
  • Allie Brosh's newest update - mostly because I was exactly  like her little sister when I was young!
  • Silly Rhymes for Belligerent Children by Trace Beaulieu (Illustrations by Len Peralta) - Roald Dahl-esque poems with awesome illustrations.  It's very reminiscent of Strewwelpeter, the German children's book of cautionary tales by Heinrich Hoffman or Edward Gorey's The Gashlycrumb Tinies (one of my personal favorites).

My favorite of the "Tinies" - Who doesn't want to die of ennui?
Image found here



  • These awesome eyeball earrings from Kreepsville, an online exclusive on the Hot Topic website
  • These lovely bow hair clips that my darling husband bought for me:
Blood Spattered (Left) and Covered in Brains (Right)
  • The League of Tana Tea Drinkers' round table discussion about "What Cute Versions of Monsters Tell Us About Horror" - interesting insights from several bloggers (including The Drunken Severed Head) about the transformation and commercialization of monsters into harmless adorables.
  • Unexpected gifts - We got to hang out with some friends we hadn't seen in a while and they totally surprised and delighted me with a belated Christmas gift!  I now own Season 1 of "The Twilight Zone": The Definitive Edition!
  • IFC (Independent Film Channel) - IFC is awesome for several reasons (ie: They occasionally run episodes of "The IT Crowd", they don't edit their movies for time or content, etc.), but the main reason to watch is that they play awesome, rarely broadcast movies in their entirety.  Add to that fact that they're killing it right now with the horror movies and you have my new favorite channel.  IFC currently has Carrie, The Vanishing (1988), and The Changeling (1980) in their regular rotation.
  • Sucker Punch, Zack Snyder's new fantasy flick hitting IMAX and theaters on March 25th


*Inspired by Gala Darling who features TILT (Things I Love Thursdays) on her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart my readers! Thanks so much for your comments!