Monday, March 21, 2011

Top Five . . . Phobias

One of the less fun parts about being neurotic is the phobias.  I have several, so I'll share my Top Five with you:

5.  Ornithophobia (fear of birds)

Ever since being dive-bombed by blue jays while playing in my backyard as a toddler, birds have always made me nervous.  This fear was reinforced by several bird-related events including (but not limited to) being chased by a goose at the Base lake, being swarmed by seagulls while trying to eat outside at Disney World, and watching Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds in 3D.

4.  Glossophobia (fear of public speaking)

As a relatively shy person, speaking in front of large groups terrifies me.  If I never have to take another speech class it will be too soon.


3.  Emetophobia (fear of vomit)

Throwing up is high on my list of least favorite things (as it is, I assume, with most people).  I try to avoid it at all costs and often joke that I have a 10 foot "barf radius".  I can't watch people throw up on TV or in movies, even when I know it's fake.  Ironically, I happen to be married to a guy with digestive problems that lead to frequent vomiting.

2.  Nyctophobia (fear of the dark)

Yep, I'm 27 and I'm afraid of the dark.  I combat this by turning on every light in the house and sleeping with the TV on.

1.  Fear of Driving 

What can I say?  Something about being in control of a two ton motorized vehicle capable of squashing small animals and causing bodily injury and death sends me into quivering panic attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart my readers! Thanks so much for your comments!